Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. Eating a good and healthy breakfast can kickstart your day on a positive note. You will get the necessary energy you need to do your job, without getting fatigued.
Experts have suggested that having a good breakfast leads to better concentration, good memory skills, lowering of cholesterol levels and also helps in leading a healthy life. It is important to ensure that the entire family follows the habit of eating a healthy breakfast.
Many times children refuse to eat in the morning, giving the reason that they are not hungry. It is important to understand that children need to eat breakfast in order to get the essential nutrients, which in turn are needed to get the required energy for the body. When children skip breakfast, they are more likely to be tired, exhausted, not being able to focus properly and may also have mood swings.
Since children are small eaters, they do not get all the essential nutrients from lunch and dinner. Also it has been noticed that children who skip breakfast are more likely to eat junk food and become overweight.
Some of the important points to understand why breakfast is the most important meal of the day are listed below –
- Breakfast should be eaten within the first two hours of waking up.
- A healthy breakfast should be full of nutrition, which will account for around 20 to 30% of your daily intake.
- It helps build metabolism which in turn helps to burn calories.
- When you eat a healthy breakfast, you are unlikely to binge on junk food, thereby controlling your hunger pangs which in turn results in weight control.
- With an empty stomach, early morning exercising would be difficult.
- A healthy breakfast helps in good memory concentration and focus. Research has indicated that children who eat a good healthy breakfast are more likely to score good grades.
- A good breakfast provides all the nutrition and energy needed for the body to carry out various activities.
- In the long run, having breakfast on time has led to reducing obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and other heart diseases etc.
- A good breakfast helps to avoid mood swings, fatigue and irritability.
- A good breakfast provides the much needed fuel for your body.
Many times people cite reasons, such as lack of time for having breakfast. Here is a list of quick breakfast recipes, which can be easily made very quickly.
- Eat fruits like bananas, apples, pears, papaya or muskmelon. You can go for a plate of mixed fruits .
- Yoghurt with a bowl of muesli, cut fruits and nuts is healthy and tasty.
- Go for the simple traditional breakfast of whole wheat bread and an egg omlette. It is quick and filling.
- Today you have different flavoured oats like masala oats, lemon oats etc., which can be cooked in less than a couple of minutes. They are healthy and filling too.
- In summer, you can blend fruits like bananas, mangoes, apples or strawberries with youghurt and make a quick smoothie.
- Eat the traditional breakfast dishes like Ragi Idli or Dosa . All you need is to add the ragi flour to the idli batter, in order to make it more nutritious and healthy.
- Poha is another healthy breakfast dish which is filling and healthy. Make a healthy twist by adding equal quantities of poha and oats. For e.g., one cup of poha and one cup of oats , the remaining recipe remains the same.
- Banana Fritters is another healthy recipe for breakfast.Easy Banana Fritters Recipe
- Regular pancakes can be made with the addition of fruits like bananas or even carrots etc.
- Different types of parathas can be made by adding the filling of potato, carrot, moongdal, methi etc. Easy to make Spinach Paratha Recipe.
Below are two healthy breakfast recipes –
Wheat Vermicelli Upma
- 2 cups of roasted vermicelli
- 15-20 curry leaves
- ½ cup of roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp of black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp of chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp of chopped ginger
- 2-3 green chillies chopped (You can avoid it, if you don’t like spicy food)
- 2 tbsp of oil
- Salt to taste
- First roast the vermicelli in a pan and add little water and oil and then boil it.
- Add oil in another pan and to this add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Now add ginger, chillies and garlic and sauté it for a minute.
- Add the boiled vermicelli, salt and mix it well.
- Stir it properly and cook it for a little while.
- Your vermicelli upma is ready to be relished.
Bottlegourd and carrot pancake.
- ½ cup of grated bottlegourd(dudhi)
- ½ cup of grated carrot
- ½ chopped onion
- ½ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup besan(Bengal gram flour)
- 1 tsp of chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp of oil
- Salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients other than oil and make a thick batter.
- Add water only as and when required.
- Grease the non-stick tava with little oil and pour a ladleful of batter in small mini-sized pancakes.
- Pour out three mini pancakes on the tava.
- Cook it and turn it when golden brown.
- Relish it with any chutney or plain ketchup.
These are some easy and healthy breakfast recipes which can be made in a short span of time. It is important that you make and eat a healthy breakfast daily. A good breakfast is a great start for your day.
Please read our earlier article Top 10 summer foods that will cool your body.
Please check out our Smart Deals.
441 total views, 4 views today