Dandruff is a scalp condition faced by many in our everyday life. Let us look at what dandruff is all about. Dandruff is tiny flakes of dead skin on the scalp that causes an itching sensation. There are many reasons that lead to dandruff such as an improper diet, stressful lifestyle etc. Today, dandruff is a growing concern for almost all age groups.
- Let us look at some of the common causes of dandruff.
- The most common cause of dandruff is Malassezia.
- People with dry skin tend to get dandruff more often.
- Brushing your hair regularly is very important.
- Dandruff is also caused by some diseases.
- Improper diet.
- Reaction to hair and other cosmetic skincare products.
- Some of the symptoms of dandruff are –
- Let us look at some easy ways to prevent or reduce dandruff –
- Today, let us now look at some of the ways to treat dandruff at home.
- Some other easy recipes –
Let us look at some of the common causes of dandruff.
The most common cause of dandruff is Malassezia.
Malassezia is a fungus that lives on everyone’s scalp but does not cause any problem. However when it grows out of control, the scalp is irritated and it leads to the producing of extra skin cells. The extra skin cells die and fall off or even mix with the oil from the scalp and hair and turn into dandruff.
People with dry skin tend to get dandruff more often.
It is noticed that people with dry skin tend to get dandruff more often. Also in the winter and cold season dandruff is on the rise, as cold air is a common cause of itchy and flaky skin.
Brushing your hair regularly is very important.
It has been noticed that people who do not brush their hair regularly are not able to shed the dead skin and also there is no proper blood circulation. So do comb your hair regularly.
Dandruff is also caused by some diseases.
It is found that certain skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and also diseases like Parkinson, heart diseases, autoimmune disorders etc., lead to an increase in dandruff. It is also said that people with a weak immune system tend to get dandruff more often.
People with seborrheic dermatitis are more prone to dandruff. These patients have red and oily skin with white and yellow flaky scales.Sometimes hormonal changes in the body also lead to dandruff.
Many experts have said that lack of zinc, vitamins and other important nutrients and fats lead to dandruff. It is important to have a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, oily fish and omega 3 fats.
Reaction to hair and other cosmetic skincare products.
Sometimes excess usage of hair and skin products can lead to the damage of the skin and hair. It irritates the scalp which leads to dandruff.
Research has indicated that stress is an important factor which leads to dandruff. Stress, anxiety and worry can also cause dandruff.
Some of the symptoms of dandruff are –
- Itchy scalp.
- Dull and dry hair.
- Hair fall.
- Acne and pimples.
Let us look at some easy ways to prevent or reduce dandruff –
Have a good balanced diet.
A good balanced diet is needed for a healthy body.
Some of things to be noted are listed below –
- It is good to include green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, pulses, whole grains, oily fish rich in omega 3 and omega 6, eggs etc., in your diet.
- Include more protein rich foods in your daily diet.
- Hydrate your body well with 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. Water is one of the key ingredients to flush out toxins from the body.
- Avoid spicy, oily and sugary aerated drinks and juices.
Maintain personal hygiene.
It is good to keep your hair clean and healthy.
You can do the following things to keep your scalp healthy.
- Ensure that you do not over wash your hair with shampoo on a daily basis, as it will lead to the scalp becoming dry and flaky.
- Use a good anti-dandruff shampoo and a moisturiser, which is not very harsh on the scalp.
- Comb your hair regularly to increase the blood circulation.
- Get good restful sleep.
- Reduce anger and stress in your day to day lives.
There are many home remedies for dandruff, which are effective and give good results.
Today, let us now look at some of the ways to treat dandruff at home.
Lemon and Curd hair pack.
Lemon and curd is one of the most effective treatments for dandruff. Take a small bowl of curd and 1tbsp of lemon juice. Mix it well and then apply it on the scalp properly. Keep it on for 1/2 hour and then wash your hair with water.
Neem hair pack.
Neem leaves are loaded with antibacterial and antifungal properties, which help in removing and preventing dandruff.
One of the simplest things to do is to boil neem leaves in water and then use this water to take bath as well as rinse the hair. It immediately reduces the itchiness of the skin and scalp. Using this consistently for 3-4 times a week will give a lot of relief.
The other remedy is to grind the neem leaves and make a thick paste. Add 1tsp of honey to it and then apply this mixture on the hair. Leave it on for around 30 minutes. Repeat the process two or three times a week for better results.
Coconut oil and neem therapy.
Just massaging the scalp with warm coconut oil gives a lot of relief. One of the most effective remedies is to boil coconut oil with around 15-20 neem leaves, for about 15 minutes. Cool it, strain the oil and then add 1tbsp of lemon juice and 1tbsp of castor oil to it. Mix this well and store this oil in a bottle. Massage this oil on your scalp and keep it on for about an hour. Wash it off with water and a good shampoo and conditioner.
Yogurt and fenugreek seeds.
Take 2tbsp of fenugreek seed powder in 1/2 cup of yogurt. Add 1tsp of lemon juice and 2-3tbsp of neem leaves juice. First oil your hair with warm coconut oil and then apply this paste on the scalp and hair. Leave it aside for about 1 hour and then wash it off for best results.
Some other easy recipes –
- Take an equal quantity of white vinegar and water and apply it on the scalp and keep it on for 30 minutes. This will help in killing all the fungus and bacteria with causes dandruff.
- Adding 1tsp of baking soda to your shampoo will help in exfoliating and removing the dead skin.
- Applying fresh Aloe Vera gel on the scalp of the skin helps to cool your scalp and reduce inflammation.
These are some of the easy home remedies for dandruff. However, in case of severe dandruff, it is best to see a doctor to understand the reasons for the same. Natural and homemade remedies are one of the best ways to treat and prevent dandruff.
Please read our earlier article Easy natural tips to avoid premature greying of hair
204 total views, 3 views today