Prawn Biryani is one of the ‘all time favorites’ amongst seafood lovers. Today’s recipe is the “one pot meal biryani” and a must in any royal feast. The type and preparation of the biryani varies from region to region. Biryanis are versatile and can be prepared with chicken, mutton, prawns, fish or even with vegetables.
Today’s shrimp or prawn biryani recipe is spicy, tangy and a great meal for all prawn lovers. It is one of the easiest and fastest biryani’s that can be made. Every Saturday, we enjoy our weekly prawn biryani meal at home.
Here’s the recipe of Tasty Prawn Biryani
- Long grain basmati rice – 250gms
- Medium sized prawns – 250gms
- Onions – 3 (chopped)
- Tomatoes – 2 (chopped)
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1tbsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1½tsp
- Green chillies – 2 (slit)
- Coriander powder – 2tbsp
- Garam masala – ½tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½tsp
- Bay leaf – 4
- Green Cardamom – 3
- Cinnamom stick – 2 small sticks
- Mace – very small piece
- Cloves – 5
- Shahi jeera – ½ tbsp.
- Poppy seeds – 1tbsp
- 1tsp of biryani masala (easily available in the market)
- Curd – ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves – 2tbsp
- Clean and devein the prawns and then marinate them with 1tsp chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste, pinch of turmeric powder, biryani masala and salt.
- Add curd and mix it well. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Wash the rice and soak it for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and cook the prawns on low heat, till the water is absorbed. Drain onto a plate and keep aside. Do not overcook prawns , just semi cook it.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add bay leaves, cloves, cardamom, mace, cinnamon, poppy seeds, shahi jeera and fry for about 2 minutes or till they crackle.
- Now add the chopped onions and green chillies and saute till golden brown.
- Add the remaining chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and saute for a minute.
- Further add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the oil separates.
- Now add the prawns and mix well.
- Add the soaked rice and stir for 2 minutes.
- Lastly add water and mix well.
- Cover and cook till the rice is done.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, fried onion and fried potato slices .
- Serve hot with cucumber and tomato salad.
Your tasty prawn biryani is ready to be relished. We usually enjoy this biryani with fried fish and green salad.
558 total views, 1 views today