Crabs are loved by one and all in our family. Though we do not get a chance to eat crabs often, whenever we find fresh live crabs in the fish market, we buy them and make our favourite crab Xacuti. Xacuti is a Goan masala used for preparing dishes of chicken, prawn, fish or crab. These days we get ready made Xacuti masala at most supermarkets and stores, which makes this dish even easier to make and equally tasty. So if you do not want to labour to make the xacuti masala, then just buy the same and use it.
Here is the recipe for Spicy crab Xacuti –
- 6-8 small or medium sized crabs cleaned.
- 2-3tbsp of oil.
- 3-4 kashmiri chillies.
- Half scrapped coconut .
- 4-5 cleaned garlic pods.
- A small piece of ginger (half inch).
- 1 or 2 green chillies (avoid if you don’t like spicy).
- 6-8 curry leaves.
- Fresh coriander.
- Small ball of tamarind.
- 4-5 cloves.
- 1tsp turmeric powder.
- 4-5 pepper corns.
- 1tsp jeera.
- ¼tsp methi seeds.
- 1tbsp khus khus (poppy seeds)
- 1tsp moti saunf.
- 1tbsp of coriander seeds.
- 1 chopped onion.
For the Xacuti Masala:
- Take a pan and put 1tsp of oil. Add half scrapped coconut and all the dry spices like cloves, turmeric powder, pepper corns, jeera, methi seeds, khus khus, moti saunf, garlic, coriander seeds,ginger and kashmiri chillies.
- Dry roast it well till you get a nice aroma.
- Cool down the mixture and then add a handful of coriander leaves, tamarind etc., and blend it into a thick paste. Your Xacuti paste is ready to be used.
- Wash and clean the crabs properly. If they are big, then cut them into half and put them in a pan with just enough water. Do not add more water. The crabs need to be cleaned properly by removing all the dirt and the shell. The inside white flesh needs to be eaten and enjoyed.
- Boil the crabs for around 10-15 minutes till the crabs are cooked. The water will also get reduced. Do not throw away the crab stock.
- Now take a pan and add 2tbsp of oil. Further add chopped onions, curry leaves and sauté it for a while till the onions are soft.
- Add your freshly ground crab Xacuti masala. Saute it and add little crab stock (leftover water from the boiled crab). Cook the masala for around 5 minutes.
- Now add the boiled crabs to the Xacuti Masala . Add salt according to your taste and cook it for around 5 minutes.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- You can keep the gravy thick or thin according to your taste.
- Your Spicy Crab Xacuti is ready to be relished with rice or bread.
If you are a seafood lover, than you need to try out crab Xacuti. Please check out our Traditional Goan Chicken Xacuti
737 total views, 1 views today