Different types of fish curries are made in coastal Goa. Ambot Tik curry is one which is loved by all and it means sour and spicy in Konkani.
It is usually made with shark fish because it has chunky flesh with only a single bone. Also due to its nice spicy and tangy nature, this curry can be made with different types of fishes like Mackeral, Prawn, Sardine, Kite Fish etc. This is a simple curry which is like soul food relished with plain rice.
Today, let us learn how to make Spicy Goan Ambotik fish curry.
½ kg fish (preferably shark or kite fish)
12 kashmiri chillies
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp pepper corns
½ inch ginger
6 flakes garlic
Walnut size ball of tamarind.
1 medium onion roasted.
2 tbsp oil
1 green chilly
– Clean and wash the fish. Cut into desired pieces, apply salt and keep aside.
– Grind a fine paste of vinegar or water or lime juice with Kashmiri chillies, garlic, ginger, pepper corns, tamarind, turmeric powder, cumin seeds and the roasted onion.
– Heat oil, saute fry chopped onion till cream in color.
– Add the masala and fry well.
– Now add masala water little by little.
– Add around 1 cup of water and see the consistency of the gravy. It should not be too thick or too thin and bring the gravy to a boil.
– Add the pieces of fish, slit green chilly and add salt as per taste.
– Lower the flame and cover the lid.
– Cook till fish is done .
Your Spicy Goan Ambotik Fish Curry is ready to be relished with rice.
269 total views, 2 views today