People from all over India are generally very fond of rice. There are lots and lots of rice dishes one can make like pulao rice, biryani, bisi bele bath, pongal, khichdi, masala rice and so on. Most times this aromatic rice is prepared during festivals and on other joyous occasions. But there are times when we prepare plain white rice and a bowl full of that remains unfinished. What does one do with this leftover rice? I simply hate to waste food.
So here comes the quick mouth-watering recipe of Spicy Eggplant rice (Vanghi Bhaat)
- 2-3 cups of leftover white rice
- 2tbsp pure ghee
- 1 big onion – chopped finely
- 3-4 medium size brinjals(cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables(green beans, carrots, peas)
- 1tsp Biryani /pulao masala
- Salt as per taste
- 3-4 peppercorns
- 2 Green cardamoms crushed slightly but whole
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat the ghee in a deep pan.
- Add all the whole spices to the hot ghee and let it crackle and sizzle for 10-15 secs.
- Now add onions and fry till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add chopped mixed vegetables and the biryani/pulao masala and stir-fry for 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Now add rice and salt to the vegetables and stir fry for another 5 minutes, gently stirring the same.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it steam cook for around 5 minutes.
- Open the lid, switch off the heat and squeeze some lemon juice and garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with mango pickle. It also tastes excellent with curd.
- Your Spicy Eggplant rice – Masala Vangi rice is ready to be relished.
736 total views, 1 views today