Christmas is a time when all your traditional recipes come to the forefront. You like to cook food from recipes which has been passed down from one generation to another. One such tradition is the rum and raisin cake. This cake is very interesting to make, as we need to soak dry fruits and other fruits and spices in rum, for over a month to get the right flavour.
Soaking dry fruits in rum and wine gets everybody into the Christmas mood, just after thanksgiving.
This cake is soft, tasty and loved by one and all. Today, we will see the recipe of the delicious Christmas rum and raisin cake.
500gms of refined flour
300gms of brown sugar
100gms of white powdered sugar
150gms of chopped almonds
100gms of chopped cashews
200gms of cleaned black currants
200gms of cleaned raisins
100gms of sultana
200gms chopped cherries
500gms of butter
4 eggs beaten well
3 to 4tbsp of milk
1tbsp of baking powder
1tbsp vanilla essence
250 ml of wine
250 ml of rum
1tbsp of mixed spices (cloves, nutmeg powder, cinnamon)
½ bowl of tutti frutti (dried peels of orange and lemon)
Soaking of dry fruits in rum and wine
Soak all the dry fruits like cashews, almonds, cherries, sultana, currants in rum and wine for about a month to get the best results. You can also soak them for less time according to your preference.
- Mix the flour with baking powder.
- Now mix butter with brown sugar and white powdered sugar.
- Add the beaten eggs to the mixture and mix it well.
- Drain the dry fruits from the mixture and keep aside for a while. Keep the rum and wine mixture.
- Dust the soaked dry fruits with flour and keep aside.
- Now add the soaked dry fruit, vanilla essence and mixed spice powder and mix it well.
- Slowly add the flour and fold it well. Do not over mix it. Add milk if the consistency is too thick.
- Pre-heat the oven at 160 degrees. Grease the baking tin with butter or olive oil.
- Pour the mixture in the baking tray. Pat the tray so that there are no air bubbles and it is baked evenly.
- Bake it for an hour. Keep checking with a knife, as it should come out clean.
- Remove the cake after it is properly cooked.
- Poke the cake with toothpicks and pour out the remaining rum and wine mixture on the cake.
- Allow the cake to soak the rum and wine mixture.
- Cool it and wrap it in a foil. Keep it in an air tight container to be cut on the Christmas day.
- Before serving, heat the cake in the microwave and then pour a little rum on it, to give the ethnic traditional rum flavour.
- Your delicious traditional rum and raisin cake is ready to be relished.
Please check for our other recipes.
To buy please click here Smart Deals.
151 total views, 2 views today