Approx cook time – 1 hour
Serves – 4 people
Xacuti is a traditional goan gravy which makes use of coconut to give added flavour. At times even coconut milk (both thick and thin) can be added. It is generally eaten with rice. Chicken Xacuti is the most preferred form, however for my vegetarian friends, we have a special treat for you today.
How to make Goan Mushroom Xacuti
Button Mushrooms – 2 packets
2 tablespoons ghee
3-4 Kashmiri Chillies (red)
1/2 coconut scraped (or coconut milk)
1 tablespoon – coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon of til (sesame seeds)
1 Tablespoon Khus Khus (poppy seeds)
2 – 4 of Cloves
Turmeric Powder (as per discretion)
8 Pepper Corns
1 Teaspoon Jeera
1 Teaspoon Badee Saunf (Moti Saunf)
4 Flakes Garlic
1/2 Inch Ginger
Add 1 Potato (optional)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder for taste
2 Inch Piece of Cinnamon
How to clean and prepare the mushroom
– Clean the mushroom carefully with salt water to get rid of mud and grime.
– Dice the mushrooms and then shallow fry them in oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Making the Xacuti Gravy
- Add 2 tablespoons of ghee to a deep saucepan and fry the red kashmiri chillies.
- Gradually add the scrapped coconut, coriander seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and other ingredients for the masala and stir so that all the ingredients get mixed well.
- Then blend the ingredients together using a mixer-grinder until you get a thick red masala.
- Now in a saucepan add the thick red masala and the shallow fried mushrooms and cook on medium flame for around 45-50 mins.
- For additional taste and flavour add Nutmeg powder, 1 onion, 1 tomato, potatoes (optional).
- Let it cook for a while. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Your mushroom xacuti recipe is done and is ready to serve
- Serve with Goan Brown Rice or with Pao (Goan Bread).
Please read our earlier article Spicy Goan Squid Recheado.
Please check our Smart Deals.
57 total views, 1 views today