Here’s how you make Chicken Biryani
½ kg Basmati rice, make sure it’s soaked for 15-20 mins and drained well
1 kg chicken ,boneless or with chicken drumsticks
2 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste
1½ cups curd
Salt as per taste
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1½ teaspoons of Kashmiri red chilli powder
1 teaspoon of freshly ground garam masala powder
½ teaspoon of nutmeg powder
Lemon Juice (1 full lemon)
3 bay leaves
5-6 green cardamoms
1 teaspoon of shahi jeera
Half teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 cup crispy brown onion for garnishing
4 medium potatoes, cut into halves( 4 pieces per potato)
Small bowl of chopped fresh mint leaves
Small bowl of chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 star anise
1 inch cinnamon
4 tablespoon of oil
1 tablespoon of ghee.
5 black peppercorns
2 black cardamoms
1 teaspoon saffron soaked in warm water
Dough of wheat flour for Dum (Seal the Handi)
1. Marinate chicken with salt, ginger-garlic-green chilli paste in a bowl. Keep in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Combine marinated chicken, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder in a bowl.3. Add nutmeg powder, lemon juice, cloves, half of shajeera seeds, half of bay leaf, half of green cardamoms, cumin seeds, oil, some of the brown fried onions, potatoes, some of the coriander and mint leaves and curd and mix it well.
4. Boil water in a deep non-stick pan, add 1 teaspoon oil , star anise, mace, black cardamoms, remaining bay leaf, remaining green cardamoms, remaining shahjeera seeds and cinnamon and salt and mix well.
5. Add rice and cook till the rice is parboiled (means not completely done , less cooked )
6. Heat remaining oil in another non-stick pan, make a layer of the marinated chicken and parboiled rice.
7. Spread some of the coriander, browned onions and saffron.
8.Sprinkle garam masala powder, mint leaves and little ghee.
9.Seal the sides of the pan with flour dough.
10.Place pan on heat and cook on medium heat for 35 minutes.
11.Put off the flame and keep aside for 15 minutes as it further gets cooked (Dum).
12. Serve hot with Cucumber, Onion and tomato raita.
Please read our other recipes.
Did you like the article above and want more tips delivered straight to your inbox every week? Then subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
157 total views, 2 views today