Singhara (Sighada) or Water Chestnut is obtained from an aquatic plant that grows along the mushy areas near the lakes and rivers. One can make many dishes by using Singhara ka atta or Singhara flour .
Singhara ka Atta is a good source of minerals and vitamin. It is rich in vitamin B, and potassium and also contains a number of antioxidants. The kernel of water chestnut contains a high level of protein. For diabetics, Singhara ka Atta is an ideal food choice as it offers low calorie value, high vitamin and fibre content. So including water chestnut in your daily diet is certainly beneficial. It is also free from cholesterol and fat. Apart from these nutritional benefits, singharas also have superb detoxifying and cooling properties.
Especially in winter season when this water crop is available in abundance, my Grandmother used to make delicious halwa by using Singhara ka atta. Just a piece or two of this delicious halwa with a glass of warm milk on wintery morning is definitely a healthy breakfast choice.
Here the recipe of one of our traditional favorite and healthy dish –Water Chestnut – Singhara flour pudding (Singhara ke atta ka halwa ).
- 3 – 4 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup Singhara ka atta
- ½ cup Besan (coarsely grind)
- 1/4th cup chopped almonds / pistachios
- 3 tbsp powdered jaggary or as per taste
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Pinch of nutmeg powder.
- Heat the ghee in a non stick pot .
- Add the Singhara ka atta and besan flour to it and dry roast on a medium flame till the atta is light brown and gives off a nutty aroma.
- This will take quite some time as we need to roast these flours very well.
- Add powdered jaggary and mix well.
- Just sprinkle some milk in between over this mixture.
- Keep stirring till the mixture leaves the sides and bottom of the pan and comes together in a big lump.
- Add nutmeg and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Take a greased plate or bowl and transfer the mixture into it.
- Garnish with chopped almonds.
- When it slightly cools down, cut into square or diamond shape pieces.
- Enjoy over your breakfast.
453 total views, 1 views today